Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Interview

I had a job interview today. I applied for the position months ago, I guess they're just getting around to sifting through the applications. The job would be freaking sweet if I got it. Headbutting your mom sweet. Orange Mocha Frappuccino sweet. I hate coffee. The position is Web Developer for the A&L Dean's Office, and I'd be working in collaboration with the ND Web Group. They're good. Just a few years ago the ND web presence was a mess, and site by site they're putting us on the cutting edge.

On paper, I'm not really oh so qualified for the job. I have no applicable experience to speak of, no web portfolio. I've learned so much about development in the past year that I'd be embarrassed to submit any of my previous stuff for their scrutiny. I have a few apps I've done for my office, but it's all back-end goodness, almost nothing presentational. So anyway, I was a little nervous walking over. Fortunately, I just downloaded some Scandal last night, and was able to calm my nerves and jumpstart my confidence with the phat 80s beats. What, you want to tame my AniMal style? Well you can't, bitch! I am the Warrior! Bang Bang, and whatnot! This is what drives me.

The interview went very well. Actually, interviews. One with the Web Group, and one with the A&L Deans. I had this whole speech prepared in anticipation of the question "What special qualities can you bring to the position?" about understanding the atmosphere of the University and already being familiar with the organization of the OIT and such, but then they never asked. So at the end I just said "Uh, well I had anticipated you asking me what special qualities I could bring to the position, so uh..." Bold? Spicy? Delicious? Yes, yes, and yes. Thankfully the interviewer laughed instead of staring blankly, and when I was done she said "That's exactly the kind of answer we're looking for!" To the question they didn't really ask. So suck on that, 3rd grade teacher who said I'd never amount to anything! Who I just made up! Bang, bang!

Post a Comment

Post a Comment