Monday, October 17, 2005

Best Weekend Ever

Yeah, we lost, I know. Still by far the greatest game I've ever been to, probably the greatest game I've ever seen. I can't put into words what it was like being in the stadium--I've never been so emotionally invested in any sporting event. I've had some serious freak-outs over ND games before, but this was like loss-of-all-body-control freaking out. I couldn't stand still, I was rocking back and forth and waving my arms around like a monkey. I'm pretty sure I made sweet love to the large man standing in front of me. I bruised my fingers clapping (no more class ring at USC games, make a note of it) and probably did irreparable nerve damage digging into Lizett's arms as I clutched desperately for support.

The only thing that broke the tension was the weirdo behind us shouting "Samardzija" every play. Every play. Offense and defense. Was he rooting for him? Taunting him? I don't know. He didn't elaborate. Just "Samardzija, Samardzija!" over and over. We started making fun of him, but either he didn't know or didn't care. He was a man on a mission, and that was to say the name Samardzija 895 times in 4 hours or less. So that was some welcome comic relief. Then the last few seconds came.

The few seconds when the clock ran out. We couldn't believe it. I seriously didn't know what was going on. Lizett and I looked at the clock, then each other, then...we won? Did we just win? WE WON!! WE WOOOOOOOON!!! We're hugging and jumping and screaming like lunatics. Aside from that time I found a gummy worm in the couch cushion, it was the best few seconds of my life.

Then...what? We didn't win? Oh.

It's hard to put the disappointment into words. It's like you're walking through the desert dying of thirst, and suddenly you're given a tall cold glass of water--the light dawns, you start swishing it around in your mouth, it's heaven...then right before you swallow some dude comes up and kicks you in the gut, throws sand in your mouth, and shows you a picture of him in bed with your wife. It was...awful.

Afterward, it was almost impossible to talk about anything else. The rest of the weekend was the following unstoppable loop:

"Wow. What a great game. Really. It was amazing. We really hung in there. Really, I'm proud of them, we did great."

(3 second pause)

"AAAAGHHHHHHHH!!! Those last few seconds, oh GOD!"

(3 minutes of talking about something else)

(slight lull)

"AAAAHHHGGGHHHHHHH!!! I just can't believe we came so close! I'm going on a killing spree!"


Unless you were talking to Lizett, then it was:

Lizett: (Moves mouth, no sound comes out)

Others: What?

Lizett: (Moves mouth more emphatically--still no sound)

Others: (Feigning understanding) Ohhhh! Haha!


Speaking of Lizett, does anybody else think she looks like Bill Cosby? Hahaha, Vnak you comic genius! I didn't even hear him say it, I just heard it repeated later, and I still almost lost bladder control.

Ahhhhhh, football weekend.

So, in slightly less important news...

I GOT THE JOB! BOOYA, BOOYA, BOOYA!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats!!!! - Dooz

4:52 PM, October 17, 2005  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's awesome. Maybe I can get my job I applied for months and months ago, too. You have given me hope.

7:45 PM, October 17, 2005  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I enjoyed your drunk-voicemail. Alas, I was at a funeral when you rang, lest I would have had you hump Katie's leg for me. Tally-hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

10:49 PM, October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment