Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Yeeeeeeehaw!

It was a good weekend in Houston. I bussed it down there because I love the environment and bus people and arrived to a delicious quesadilla dinner. Lizett's pappy warned me not to use too much salsa because it is very very hot but I piled it on anyway and took it down like a man, and in that moment I think I really gained his respect because he gave me the wink and the gun and said "I like your style."

We spent about 3 hours discussing wedding stuff, which was very thoughtful of them because they want me to feel included in the planning, but the truth is I'm happy with whatever Lizett wants, so I pretty much spent 3 hours trying to think of polite ways to say "I have no opinion whatsoever." It was highly informative, however, and now I'm all caught up. Oh, we did decide definitely not to have a wedding party, so for all of you fellows who would've been in it, you don't have to rent a tux but you still get the free dinner. Score!

Saturday we checked out the church and the hotel, and they're both very nice. I was particularly impressed with the church, very big and a really cool looking mixture of blank imposing walls and huge stone arches and really ornate windows. The hotel was also very nice except there was a fellow there waxing the carpet and I'm only 20% sure he worked for them.

That afternoon we headed out to the Rodeo. Lizett totally wore a cowboy hat, it was pretty grand. In fact, I rather felt like a chump being hatless, since easily over half the people there were similarly attired. There was one guy who had the whole getup, the bushy moustache hanging all the way over his lips, a long leather coat, cowboy hat, neckerchief, pocket watch, and God bless him, a cane. Presumably only federal law (couldn't possibly be Texas law) prevented him from strapping on a six shooter, this guy was hardcore. Anyway, it was all very Texas-y, although mostly we just did the carnival, and being us, pretty much just went from stand to stand eating fatally greasy food. It was awesome. We also rode a few pansy rides (Lizett likes the back-and-forthy-upside-downy stuff but I do not) and checked out the livestock show. Cows are disgusting.

I was supposed to meet Lizett's BFF out for St. Pat's but we were pretty wiped from the rodeo and we just crashed to The Sentinel. Hugely sub par.

Sunday I got ("got") to attend spanish mass. Now I know mass is an extremely spiritual and meaningful weekly ritual for a whole lot of people, and I am NOT disparaging it, but you must understand that from an outsider's perspective it is pretty bizarre. You walk in and there's a guy in a creepy hooded robe signaling a touchdown. Behind him is a naked dude being tortured to death. The crowd listlessly sings, then listlessly chants, then stands, then sits, then kneels, then sits, then stands, then sits, then kneels, then eventually approaches the naked guy to pretend to eat his flesh and wash it down with a nice swig of pretend-blood. Obviously after 8 years at ND I get what's going on and why but I am here to tell you if you didn't grow up thinking these are all totally normal and positive things to do, it's still a little funky to sit through. On the plus side, I couldn't understand a single word being said.

So that wrapped up the weekend. We drove home uneventfully and had a fine gourmet dinner at our favorite Hooters. Our waitress was from Indiana and instead of laughing simply said "that's so funny" in response to humorous situations. As always, the buffalo shrimp were delicious.

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Haha...I just saw that episode of Scrubs the other night. That's so funny....

9:48 AM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment