Friday, October 20, 2006

Worst Day Of My Life

It finally happened. I've been living in fear of it for over two years now. I've got two pairs of doc's sitting by the front door, black or brown to match my outfit of the day. It's too dark when I leave for work to distinguish colors and damn you to hell if you think I'm going to flip on a light switch, so I make my selection based on a slight variation in shape--the blackies are a bit more squared off at the toe. I don't know if I was just tired this morning? Maybe on some sick level I wanted this to happen. Yellow shirt, brown belt, tan khakis...black shoes. OH GOD! I didn't notice until I was sitting down at my desk. Needless to say I immediately drove home and corrected my error. No, really. There's no way I could work under those conditions.

I'm heading out right after work tonight to catch a flight to Austin, then driving to Houston Saturday, back to Austin Sunday, and flying back home Monday. It will be a glorious weekend of travel. It looks like I will once again be missing my old roommate dcrowley, in this weekend from Atlanta, which fills me with rage of utmost intensity and murderous potential. I missed him last time he was in town for the same reason. I lived with him a year after graduation, and I am here to tell you the man could teach lessons in being awesome. For one thing, he's quirky as hell:

Me: Hey Dan, what are you up to?
Dan: Whittling a stake.
Me: Cool.

Secondly, and this one is the key, the man is always up for anything. You could wake him up at 3am and ask if he wants to hit up an aquarium and he'd already be putting on his shoes.

Thirdly, he may or may not have once fallen asleep on the john with two 40s in hand, thus immediately securing his spot as my hero for all eternity.

Why the sudden Crowley worship? Well, I ran into his dad last night at Corby's and it's freaking uncanny how much they look alike. This is no ordinary father-son similarity; if you chopped Dan's legs off at the knees--not that I'm suggesting you should--the two would be virtually indistinguishable. At least if you'd been drinking for a while.

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm confused. Is Dan's dad short, or does he have no legs?

8:11 PM, October 20, 2006  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've almost turned back from going to work for doing that... or forgetting a belt or watch. I wear tassel loafers. Seriously, I have two pairs... one in black and one in mahogany. The tassels make a satisfying slapping noise as I walk around. Laces are for suckers.
-lb

7:11 PM, October 23, 2006  

Post a Comment