Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Have You Ever Hit Your Grandma? In The Face? With A Canoe?

Ah, finally back from vacation. The first several days can be summed up with golf, beer, and movies. I saw Da Vinci Code. It was pretty good.

After a quick and terrible 27 holes on Friday I headed home for x-treme lazing with the fam. It's about a 4 hour drive and I killed the time with these audio spanish lessons which I obtained totally legally through a legitimate file sharing service. They come in half hour blocks, and taken one at a time they aren't too bad, but it turns out 8 of them in direct succession is about the most stressful thing ever, making the MCATs seem a jolly farce. Basically they give you a spanish conversation at the beginning, then fire off a bunch of definitions, then they say things in english which you are supposed to repeat back in spanish using the vocab you just learned and the initial conversation for context. Seems a reasonable enough approach, and pretty effective, only they give you just exactly enough time to repeat the sentence back before moving onto the next one, so if you delay even a little bit or can't think of (or in my case pronounce) a word, you fall irrevocably behind and your brain implodes. A reasonable person would probably just hit the pause button but by GOD I was going to make it through 8 lessons each way, and nothing on earth was going to stop me, least of all my continued mental well-being. But hey, if any of you spanish speakers want to discuss buying and paying for things, drinking cold beers and eating cold sandwiches, counting to 20, or finding the bathroom (as long as it's either aquí or allí), I'm totally down.

Uh, anyway, I got home pretty late and just headed to bed, having only nabbed about 3 hours the night before. I can't sleep at all lately. Arrrrrrrrrr. My niece is soooooooooooo adorable now. She just recently figured out walking and now she's all over the place, non-stop. There's a steady clumpclumpclumpclumpclump going at all hours of the day. She's not talking yet, but she can happily tell you that a doggie goes woof-woof (woo, woo!), a cow goes moo (ooooo!), a bird goes peep-peep (bee, bee!), and a monkey goes ah, ah, ah, EEEE (she gets that one just right). She also very nearly managed to say cheese:

Mom: Gwen, do you want some cheese?
Gwen: Baa!
Mom: Cheese.
Gwen: Bee.
Mom: Cheeeeeeese.
Gwen: Eech!
Mom: Cheeeeeeeeeeeeese.
Gwen: Bitch!
Me: BONG.

Other than watching her run around, I didn't do a whole lot. Dan and I played tennis and it was an embarrassment of epic proportions. I knew I'd be bad, but I could barely keep the ball in the court. By the end of the second set, I was finally starting to get my strokes back a little--not to say I was hitting well, but at least I was hitting properly--so perhaps there is hope for the summer. I couldn't get ahold of the one person I actually try to see when I'm back home, so the rest of the weekend was devoted to steady rotation of the Sci-Fi channel, the History channel, and napping.

I got back yesterday after another harrowing 4 hours of rapid-fire education to find Ball, God bless him, already in the parking lot with a cold beer in his outstretched hand and a brat spitting happily on the grill. We BBQd it up with the grad students for a while and then headed over to the pool where we sat around trying to fight the urge to toss Jani in fully clothed. Amy also would have made a lovely splash, but Rocky is much bigger than me, and may have eaten my head. Also his name is Rocky. You don't want to mess with that. The end.

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Damn those crafty girls keeping expensive electronics on their persons keeping us from pushing them in and running away from their wrath.

On a side note, this summer is gonna rock...filled with golf, tennis, movies, bbqing and drinking beer by the pool. Oose.

11:53 AM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger Goat said...
I would expect nothing less of Ball. In fact, when I arrive next Friday, I fully expect him to bring me a brat and beer at the airport.

Mal, it's cute when the nieces and nephews make baby words, but you'll rue the day when they ask you, "When are you getting married, Uncle Mal?" Not that it's ever happened to me... by which I mean it has.

3:20 PM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger Mal said...
You'll get no such thing. You need your stomach free for a delicious pub burger--you know, the one we're not going to wait for anyone else to go and eat.

3:54 PM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger ndchick1 said...
well, uncle goat, when are you getting married?

and i cannot understand why a plane ticket was never purchased for my visit to south bend. perhaps because i foolishly left that in the hands of mal and ball. or maybe we all were just drunk.

3:58 PM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger Mal said...
Offer is still good, my smooth belly rubbing friend! Book ye a flight, and be reimbursed for 2/3 the doubloons ye spent upon arrival! Arrrrrrr!

4:20 PM, May 30, 2006  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah Jism, we said we'd help cover the cost...not plan out your entire trip. Hell, I don't even know what airport you'd fly out of.

4:43 PM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger ndchick1 said...
that can be a problem...having not options of departure. 3 airports! naturally, i prefer to fly out of the closest to my house and named after a republican, a rarity in washington, dc. ronald reagan national airport. DCA it is! screw IAD and BWI!

7:54 PM, May 30, 2006  

Blogger Goat said...
Oh, don't you worry, Mal. I didn't plan to eat said brat, but merely tear up and throw it in Ball's face in a mockery of his efforts. I would, however, drink the beer since wasting sweet sweet nectar just ain't cool.

Jism's coming? Woo hoo! Now if we can only get Stitch we'll have a full Animal House quorum.

2:26 PM, June 01, 2006  

Blogger Mal said...
Alas, Jism could not be persuaded.

I talked to Stitch last night, and he said he'd rather die in a gutter than come hang out with us. Then he said he might come hang out with us, and he'd let me know next week.

2:41 PM, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment