Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Summer of Activity

Last night, as we were consuming our thick, juicy steaks, loaded baked potatoes, hot buttered honey bread, salty bacon cheese fries, and tall frosty beers, Ball and I decided it's time to get healthy, and what better way than going back to our high school roots and picking up tennis again? And not just for the seemingly never ending supply of hot, hot, blazingly hot women that frequent the courts. I've just got the tennis bug. I used to play every day. Three buddies and I would play at least 2 or 3 sets in the afternoon, take a mario kart break, hit the frisbee golf course, and then more often than not head back to the courts for another match in the evening.

That all came to a fairly abrupt stop after the famous splitting-my-face-open-with-my-own-racquet fiasco of '99, tragically--I still played on occasion after that, but the frequency dropped off drastically and eventually my skills deteriorated to a level that made it impossible to participate in a competitive match with anyone over the age of 12. Fortunately the next summer I became a part-time tennis instructor at Columbus City Rec Centers, and whooped the shit out of a large number of people under the age of 12. They called me Mr. Steve, the "tennis pro." Haha, it was almost as awesome as the summer I spent as a swim instructor directly after failing the swim test at ND. "Show us the dolphin kick, Mr. Steve!" the wee children would say. "Haha!" I'd say as I doggie paddled by, "No refunds!" Anyway, I miss me some tennis, and I'm primed and ready to get back on the court. It's been...several years since I've played with any intensity, so we'll see how this goes.

In other activity news, I'm finally starting to ramp up my running and lifting again. Yes, I am going against the advice of everyone to ever exist by ramping up both at the same, from a standard of no activity whatsoever, thus dooming my body to some sort of catastrophic breakdown. This unfortunately means I have to ramp up my eating as well, lest I immediately die, which is unfortunate as a catastrophic breakdown of my financial management abilities has left me without food for the next couple weeks. SEND FOOD. Oh God, please send me some food.

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Can Atheists ask God for help?

11:23 AM, May 04, 2006  

Blogger ndchick1 said...
I remember a time when you used to request food when you were working the OIT. Are you reverting back to the old Mal from days of yore? 'Cause if so, I cannot wait to see the side part, huge glasses and braided belt again.

1:22 PM, May 04, 2006  

Blogger Mal said...
You mean...like THIS?

BOOOOONG

1:41 PM, May 04, 2006  

Blogger ndchick1 said...
EXACTLY! and how did you get your icon to be the pirate...can i request a different one? perhaps a ninja? the foil of the pirate? the bain of blackbeard? the canker sore on cap'n jack sparrow's lower lip?

1:47 PM, May 04, 2006  

Blogger Mal said...
Blogger ndchick1 said...
Best. Day. Of. My. Life.

3:28 PM, May 04, 2006  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Remember as a freshman, when you looked like that, you once told me you would never drink? So what the hell man? I feel betrayed.

6:40 AM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment