Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bandidas

It was with high hopes and erect nipples that I sat down with Lizett to watch Bandidas. Just look at this DVD cover:


Can you fathom a world, based on the available information, in which this is not going to be a mind-blowing experience? Salma Hayek...and Penélope Cruz...as turn-of-the-century Mexican bank robbers.

Their entire function in the movie is to be hot, have hilariously thick accents, and whoop ass--which they did. And I'm no Steve Zahn expert, but based on Sahara and Saving Silverman alone I must conclude that the man is hilarious, and he did just fine too. The main villain was was none other than Dwight Yoakam, who in addition to being a graduate of my own alma mater, Northland High School, had a SWEET villain moustache which on its own merit should have made the movie. And finally, it had a horse climbing a ladder.

It sucked though. It sucked more than 1,000 Dysons running over 1,000 lint covered oriental rugs at 15,000 feet when there is a sudden loss of cabin pressure and everything is sucked out of the plane. And not like Walking Tall 2 sucked. I enjoy a bad movie as much as anyone, probably much more. I love to mock their sucktitude. I've seen Wing Commander 4 times! But with Bandidas, there was simply nothing to mock. None of the characters were in any way believable as human beings. They were pod people, and I hate them.

You had everything, Joachim Roenning, and you threw it all away. God save you if your junk ever comes within range of my foot.

Post a Comment

Blogger Goat said...
And yet, your scathing review still doesn't outweigh the cover art. I'm renting it!

9:40 AM, June 20, 2007  

Blogger Mal said...
Dude don't do it! They never even appear like that in the movie. Designer jeans and tank tops in turn-of-the-century Mexico? No, that would have been a Redeeming Feature, and so it was summarily axed.

9:43 AM, June 20, 2007  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dude, didn't Rocky tell you about how bad this movie was in some crazy e-mail? He even commented on the fact that the hottest they appeared was on the cover and never again wore said outfits. It kept me from renting it. But I'll be damned if I don't look at the cover everytime I'm in Blockbuster

9:48 AM, June 20, 2007  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Side note: Ever since I first saw this glorious cover I've always wondered....why didn't they align the names of the actresses with the correct pictures? I mean, if they really wanted Salma Hayek's name first...put her on the left!

9:49 AM, June 20, 2007  

Blogger Rocky said...
Dude, awesome "sucking" analogy. I too was duped by the picture on the dvd box. The simulated sex scenes and near 3some was worth watching the movie. But, yeah, the actors were pods.

10:21 AM, June 20, 2007  

Blogger Goat said...
Fair enough. You have convinced me. I'll just put in my worn out copy of Desperado for my dose of super-hot Selma Hayek and Mexican vigilante bad-assery.

10:51 AM, June 20, 2007  

Post a Comment