Wednesday, November 01, 2006

C-Town

I headed home to Columbus this weekend for some family-visiting and OSU-watching. It was a good time. Gwen has really come out of her shell a little--down in NC it took her a couple days to get used to me, but this time around she was pulling my hair in 5 minutes flat. She did a whole host of cute things that I will not write about now, because I'm not sure they're all that cute in narrative form. Just trust me.

Saturday I went to the OSU game with Jan, and it was a thrashing as anticipated. It's always an adventure to hang out with Jan, because you never know what's coming next. Maybe she will throw a candy bar at your face. Maybe she will hit you in the chest with a spicy submarine sandwich. She might inexplicably introduce you as her creepy friend Steve, or pummel you with pieces of couch. Perhaps she'll just stand there and strike you for a while. She's unpredictable. The game was pretty awesome, despite the complete lack of doubt regarding the outcome. It was weird saying "GOOoooooooooOOOOOO!" and not following up with "IRISH!" and I very nearly outed myself as a non-native on the first kickoff, but fortunately everyone was too busy shouting "O-H-I-O!" to notice. The brats were delicious.

After the game we headed over to Catfish Biff's for dinner. Oh man did I forget how delicious Catfish Biff's is. There are no words. I won't try. After enjoying our Biff's and watching USC lose, which I know is bad for us but was SO satisfying, we headed off to see Jon Stewart and some Daily Show regulars at the Schott. It was pretty funny stuff. First 5 seconds:

Jon Stewart: Hello everybody! Is it true that a Buckeye is just a gay acorn?
5,000 OSU Students: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Jon Stewart: <jumps up> I will KILL every last mother fucker in this room!!

It was a moderated forum, insofar as the Dean of Arts would ask questions, some of which were vaguely serious, and Jon Stewart would answer with references to having sex with his cat. It was definitely interesting seeing him in a non-edited-for-TV atmosphere. They broke it all up with clips from the show and talked a little bit about the production and stuff. It was cool.

Hey, my brother just finally put up some pics from the NC trip! Highlights:


Gwen and Jenny enjoy some fee at the aquarium. Please note that my father is not opinionated, he's just always right.


Natalie is certainly happy about something. Perhaps some dust motes just floated by! Or maybe she was thinking about fee.


BUBBLES. ARE. AWESOME.


My mother on the beach. Mom loooooooves being photographed!


Todd knows how to entertain man and baby alike.


You're not special Natalie, Gwen was throwing those bad boys out all over the place.


How majestic is this shit? They should make a movie about the Schreiber boys just so this can be our poster. Trivia: I actually photoshopped out my huge, bulging pectorals for public consumption to forestall Lizett's murderous jealousy.


Me and Lizett with Natalie and Gwen. It's worth noting that while Natalie clearly loves her Uncle Steve, Gwen's rage and loathing towards Aunt Lizett burn with the intensity of ten thousand flaming gorillas.


Natalie was the official foot-rinser for the trip.


Gwen is adorable. You should've seen her in her chicken costume for Halloween. I've got to get a picture of that.


Gwen and Natalie play the Notre Dame Victory March. 1,000 miles away, Charlie Weis consumes a heart-medicine laced submarine sandwich.

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I call shenanigans...Jon Stewart would never swear like that....would he?

Awesome captions to the pics, especially the Schreiber boys movie poster...classic.

2:36 PM, November 01, 2006  

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey, Gwen was totally giving me kisses before that. She was just still in her grumpy state.

Thanks, though, for keeping my bathing-suit ass shot out of the fray.

6:37 PM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment